Monday, March 5, 2012

Ashamed of Bennett

    On February 11 I was in Phoenix to see my two granddaughters perform in a cheerleading competition in the city's Convention Center.
    All-Star Cheerleading, I learned, is a pretty big deal. On this day, the sport attracted 80 teams of 20-25 kids, each performing 2 1/2 minute routines in front of an audience of over 5,000 spectators. These athletes, all decked out in hair bows and sparkling uniforms, dazzled the audience with jumps, hand sprints, basket tosses, pyramids, stunt sequences, and marvelously coordinated choreography. I was simply amazed, and thrilled when my granddaughters' teams brought in a first and a second in their respective divisions.
    If there was a negative for me, it was the dance routines of four hip-hop teams. The routines did not lack in precision, but they mirrored the familiar moves of rap artists that included simulated punches to the face and gunshots to the head. What are we teaching these kids? Is moral decay to be featured on stage now?
    On that same day the world learned of the death of Whitney Houston. This amazing talent was dead after years of drug abuse. The following days were filled with praise for the beloved diva and sadness at her tragic passing.
    One comment, however, just blew my mind. It came from Tony Bennett during a performance. He said that Whitney Houston's death argued for the legalization of drugs. Are we now to believe that not only Whitney Houston, but also Janis Joplin, Michael Jackson, and Elvis would have enjoyed a long life if cocaine, heroine, and meth had been available to them legally?
    Bennett said that it was time to end the insanity of illegal-drug laws. I was appalled when I heard this. I love Tony Bennett and his music, but I will no longer be able to listen to another of his songs without recalling the insanity of his remarks.
    To me, Tony Bennett missed a golden opportunity. Instead of pleading for the legalization of drugs, he could have reminded his audience of the destructive effect of drugs on the lives of so many of his fellow performers.
    He could have lectured his drug-abusing friends in the entertainment industry on the negatiuve influence of their behavior on their fans.
    He could have mentioned that drug abuse in this country is responsible for the thousands of Mexican lives lost in competition for the lucrative drug market in Hollywood and elsewhere.
    I love Tony Bennett. But now I am ashamed of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment