Monday, May 30, 2016

Now Batting: Kitty Burke


            July 31, 1935, was a historic day for women’s rights.  In the 6th inning of a game between the Cincinnati Reds and the St. Louis Cardinals, a woman named Kitty Burke came to bat, the only time a woman has come to bat in a major league baseball game.              A rabid Reds fan, the beautiful nightclub blues singer had been mercilessly heckling Ducky Medwick when the Cardinals star finally yelled at her, “You couldn’t hit a pitch swinging an elephant.”  That’s when Kitty grabbed a bat and went up to the plate and challenged pitcher Paul Dean. “Hey, you hick, throw me a pitch!”  He obliged with an underhand toss, and she hit it back to the mound.

            Kitty Burke’s plate appearance didn’t count, of course, but when I read about it the other day I thought it could happen again for real. There are many good female ballplayers today; we only have to watch a televised women’s softball tournament to see them display their skills. They would have to compete with men to be signed to a professional baseball contract, but I can’t imagine they would be prevented from doing so in this age of discrimination protests.  Now I have to wonder: If a transgender woman (with male equipment) signed such a contract, could she claim to be the first female professional ballplayer?

            Why would I even ask myself such a silly question? But that’s what this whole transgender business has become. Silly. I really don’t care who comes to bat. I must admit, though, that I wish I could have been there to see Kitty Burke step up to the plate in a dress and high heels. I would have cheered for women’s rights like everybody else that day.
            Here's another related tidbit: The Kitty Burke is a drink invented by a Cincinnati mixologist who said it is for bad-ass women who think they can play better than the men they're watching on TV. Must be a favorite in many American bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment