Thursday, December 23, 2010

Truman Wisdom

            I was never a big fan of Harry Truman. To me, he was a little man who never measured up to his big job. But my appreciation of Truman grew enormously after I read David McCullough's biography of our 33rd president. Turns out he was a man of great courage and integrity and possibly the hardest worker the White House has ever seen.
            My favorite Truman quote is, "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference."
            This bit of wisdom certainly applies to the 111th Congress. Never in my memory, and perhaps in the history of our country, has a congress been so ready to prostitute itself for the sake of power. Never has a congress, in consort with an abetting president, plunged our nation so deeply in debt. Never has a congress so scornfully disregarded the will of the people in imposing programs it did not want and could not afford.
            As the lame ducks go home, all I can say is Good Riddance!
            But will the 112th Congress mend its sinful ways?
            Republicans in control of the House may turn out to be better piano players. But I fear the establishment that employs them will still be selling the same merchandise.

No comments:

Post a Comment